Stoke City Stories on Facebook

Follow Stoke City Stories on Twitter

Monday 5 September 2011

Woody 'fit and loving it'


Stoke defender Jonathan Woodgate believes he is in his best shape for several years and is enjoying life at his new club.
Woodgate has battled with a whole host of injuries in the past three years and has struggled to play more than a handful of games at the top level.

He was released by Spurs at the end of last season amid ongoing injury concerns but was soon snapped up by the Potters on a one-year deal.

The 31-year-old's time at the Britannia Stadium has begun well and he has proved his fitness for Tony Pulis' side by playing the full 90 minutes in all three of the club's games so far.

The former Real Madrid and Leeds man insists he is now in good shape and is relishing life at Stoke.

"Yeah, I've enjoyed it to be fair," hee told the Stoke Sentinel. "I've just been working hard. I worked hard in the off season to get really fit and did lots of strength work.

"I've just trained every day and looked after myself in the right way.

"If I don't train (outdoors) the manager has been good. I know when I need to have a day in the gym. It's a matter of trust between us."

Woodgate is not taking anything for granted, however, and knows there is plenty of competition for places at the club.

"We've got some good defenders and that's the best thing when you get competition for places," added Woodgate.

"You know if you play badly that somebody will step in and take your place."

No comments:

Post a Comment