Stoke City Stories on Facebook

Follow Stoke City Stories on Twitter

Saturday 6 August 2011

Woody to work wonders


JONATHAN Woodgate admits he could have packed in football before moving to Stoke this summer if it hadn't been for his family.

Stoke's comeback kid is suddenly in line to start the Premier League season after negotiating his first 90 minutes for City in Hajduk Split.

And he can't wait to play a part in Stoke's Europa League play-off tie against Swiss outfit FC Thun after yesterday's Europa draw.

"There were times when I thought that was it, of course," admitted the 31-year-old defender.

"But I've got family, friends and my fiancée who support me. Without them it would've been hard. Maybe I would have called it a day if it wasn't for them.

"It was a bad time, but now that I can look forward to a new season, it feels great.

"I wanted the opportunity to play and I'm very grateful to Stoke for giving me that. I'm looking forward to that first game, Chelsea next Sunday."

Woodgate's impressive 90 minutes in Split on Thursday was his first full outing in two seasons after an injury-ravaged period at Tottenham, while his last appearance was in the Champions League last season against AC Milan.

"I am delighted to get 90 minutes under my belt," said the one-time England international. "It's a good feeling. But also because it was a good, solid performance from all the lads and a positive result.

"To get a victory in Europe and a clean sheet is what it's all about. To be out there is fantastic and feels good."

Woodgate, who is being closely monitored by Stoke's medical team after agreeing to submit whole-heartedly to their rehabilitation programme, strolled through City's 1-0 win to complete a comfortable 2-0 aggregate victory for the club's first European success over two legs.

"I enjoyed the game," he added. "It's a tough place to come and to get a 1-0 victory – all the lads did fantastic.

"I'm looking forward to Chelsea, a big game. I think I do better in the big games."

Woodgate's surprisingly quick progress towards full fitness now leaves manager Tony Pulis having to consider Robert Huth at full-back long-term to accommodate them and club skipper Ryan Shawcross in the same back four.

Andy Wilkinson's broken toe, which led to his omission in Split, could leave the door open for Pulis to continue with all three in defence against Chelsea.


(story by Martin Spinks - The Sentinel)

No comments:

Post a Comment